Thursday, June 11, 2009

OCD (Obsessive Classifieds Disorder)

Causes

The cause of OCD (Obsessive Classifieds Disorder) is unknown. Some studies suggest that it may be psychologically theory based. Purchasing the first piece of furniture via online classifieds, with or without the intent of changing it's physical appearance may contribute to the onset of Obsessive Classifieds Disorder.

(The Cause)

I first purchased this when I had a smaller craft room. Then when my oldest daughter took over my craft room, I took over the playroom which is bigger. It doesn't have as big of a closet, so I needed extra storage. .


Signs and Symptoms

The patient's history may include but not be limited to:
-Browsing through the online classifieds anytime connected to the Internet.
-Browsing for items such as chairs, dressers, tables, etc. with or without the need of such items.
-Storing one or more said items in the garage, previously purchased through the online classifieds, with or without the intent to give said items a new physical appearance.
-Compulsive purchasing of tables, dressers, chairs, not knowing exactly where they will be placed in patient's home, but simply can't be passed up because patient feels a connection with something that exhibits so much potential.
-Patient or their significant other (which is usually the case) driving all over the city and beyond to pick up previously mentioned items.
-Patient's significant other often sees patient browsing through the online classifieds.
-Husband tells his wife, she's obsessed!

(Signs)

. . . about a year later when I was looking for a dresser for my oldest daughter, I found an exact dresser as the one I already had, as well as a tall dresser, and a corner desk. Needless to say I still needed to find a dresser for my oldest daughter.

I now had quite the little set up, but only had one chair that was falling apart. So I now needed chairs. I found the perfect ones, so I thought, until I saw these beauties, and well the other chairs that were once going to be in my craft room, will have their own place...



All they needed was a fresh coat of paint in one of my favorite colors.


About a year after finding the dressers, and desk, I found the perfect little end table, or so I thought, until I saw this:



No painting needed, (for now), perfectly antiquey the way it is. As for the other little end table, it will have it's own place. . .

Diagnosis

The Diagnosis for Obsessive Classifieds Disorder is made when patient's signs and symptoms meet the established criteria.
It is usually diagnosed by a loved one, such as patient's significant other. At some point, the patient recognizes their OCD behavior, but will usually deny it.

Treatment

Although treatment has not yet been recorded, one or a combination of the following treatment options are available:

-Cancelling online provider services.
-Getting rid of the computer.
- Not paying power bill.
-Joining an Amish Community.

As for the other little end table, it will have it's own place. . .just not in my craft room.
Do I have OCD? I guess not. No problem ; no treatment required. On to my next project.

3 comments:

  1. Very fun blog u have...love your new chairs painted...love those colors. cherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why would you want to paint a pair of chairs such a strange color? :) They look awesome - VERY nice details!

    I've got a dresser in my garage right now, and another pair of chairs in my toy room...What's my diagnosis?

    ReplyDelete