Sunday, May 24, 2009

Mother Brain Fashion

So, I decided I wanted to make a little dress for my 1 year-old. I had about a yard of fabric I had purchased in a left-over roll form. The minute I saw this fabric I knew what dress it was intended for. It's such an easy and cute pattern! I laid out the pattern on the folded fabric, making it barely fit, I preceded to cut. I didn't have enough for the bodice. I turned to my stash of fabrics and found what worked best.

Well, after I had everything cut out and was ready to sew, I realized. . . I don't need two fronts and two backs! Oops! There's my mother brain (momentary lapse of reason and memory) at work! I guess I would have had enough for the bodice after all, plus some! What to do . . . Make a top for my 7 year-old! I made some minor adjustments to the already cut pieces. Added a ruffly top, a couple of straps, a bit of elastic to the back, an accent button, and voila! Problem solved!


My 7 year-old kept asking me if I was almost finished with it. She wanted to wear my "invention" (as she called it) to school the next day. Better take advantage, there may not be many years left where she'll want to wear her mother's "mother brain" creations!

3 comments:

  1. You gotta love the mother brain! Someday I'd like to get back all of those brain cells I lost during the pregnancy & breast feeding years. Both the top, and little dress turned out cute! We have the same hot pink shoes - big surprise. Can't imagine you and I buying the same thing!

    Your quilt is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh mother brain...it happens to the best of us. I now don't sew for my girl as she doesn't wear what I make...it's frustrating. I have a cute pattern I could loan you for your girls.
    Your projects turned out good.

    ReplyDelete